Job Title : Measurement Technician Engineering Apprentice
Employer : Millbrook Proving Ground Ltd
Location : Bedford, Bedfordshire, MK45 2JQ
Position Type : Apprenticeship
Sector : Engineering
Vacancy Reference : VAC-12021
Brief Description : This apprenticeship is due to start in September 2020, as a Vehicle Measurement Technician working with Engineers and customers to prepare vehicles for test including mechanical work and fitting a variety of types of instrumentation.
Qualifications Required : You will need a minimum of four GCSEs at grades A*-C or 9-4 including English, maths and science , or equivalent, or a technical subject such as engineering
Vacancy Detail : This apprenticeship is due to start in September 2020, as a Vehicle Measurement Technician working with Engineers and customers to prepare vehicles for test including mechanical work and fitting a variety of types of instrumentation.
Millbrook is one of Europe’s leading locations for the test and development of every type of land vehicle from motorcycles, passenger cars, heavy commercial, military and off road vehicles.
Test work can be track based in accordance with customer procedures and legislative requirements on a variety of types track types and sometimes visiting other test sites.
This role will require a can do attitude and attention to detail.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
• To prepare vehicles for track tests by fitting measurement equipment, sensors, data acquisition systems.
• To set up the test vehicles by the setting of parameters to customer requirements (e.g. tyre pressures), and installing test ballast as required.
• To drive the vehicle to the required procedures on the various track facilities.
• To collect and record test data from the measurement or data acquisition equipment.
• Liaise with Engineers and workshop personnel as required.
• To work side by side with customers and/or the VCA inspectorate during tests if required.
• Will be given specific responsibility for certain items of laboratory equipment and their calibration.
• Act in accordance with the behaviours of Millbrook staff at all times
Positions Available : 1
Working Week : Monday – Friday 8.00am to 4.30pm 40 hours per week with attendance to college
Salary : £275.00 Per Week
Application Deadline Date : 15/05/2020
Possible Start Date : 01/09/2020
Personal Qualities : • Positive, can-do attitude
• Mature approach to work
• Enthusiasm for engineering
• Keen desire to achieve academically
Skills Required : • Good general level of education
• Competent in the use of IT
• Excellent communication skills
• Health and Safety awareness
• A good level of driving ability
Future Prospects : Potential for promotion to the role of Technician following appropriate and successful training and development and may also progress on to other Engineering roles.
Training to be Provided : • During this Apprenticeship, you will undertake the Standard for Engineering Technician Level 3
• Technical Support Technician
• Foundation Competence – EAL Level 2 Diploma in Advanced Manufacturing Engineering
• Development Competence – Level 3 AME – Technical Support Technician
• Development Knowledge – Pearsons Level 3 Diploma in Advanced Manufacturing Engineering
• College attendance
• Regular visits from the College into the workplace
• Observations and assessments in the workplace
• Use of e-portfolio
• End point assessment
• Ongoing support and training from both College and the employer
• Functional Skills qualifications (if required)
Other Information : • Due to the location of Millbrook, the post holder will need to provide their own transport as no public transport is available.
• Working Environment office/workshop/lab/track
• Flexibility to travel as and when required
• Full UK driving license (preferable)
• SC clearance or ability to achieve this (UK national with residency in the UK for the last 5 years)
Things to consider : To apply please submit your application, cover letter and CV Closing date for applications is 20th March 2020, with Assessment Centre’s taking place in April 2020.
Candidates must attend an initial interview with a member of the Bedford College Apprenticeship Recruitment Team and complete an online Maths and English test which will be sent out prior to your initial interview if you meet the entry criteria. Please note this is part of the recruitment process and must be completed in order for your application to be progressed to the next stage
The map below shows the employer's location