Job Title : Electronics Technician Engineering Apprentice
Employer : BEKA associates Ltd
Location : Hitchin, Bedfordshire, SG5 2DA
Position Type : Apprenticeship
Sector : Engineering
Vacancy Reference : VAC-11862
Brief Description : We have a fantastic opportunity for an enthusiastic individual who is looking to develop a career in a small business, gaining valuable knowledge and experience circulating between departments within a manufacturing company.
Qualifications Required : For an ‘Engineering Apprenticeship Level 2’:
You will need a minimum of three GCSE’s at grades A*-D / 9-3 or level 1 equivalent, ideally including English, maths, science and or a technical based subject such as engineering or product design.
For an ‘Engineering Advanced Apprenticeship Level 3”:
You will need a minimum of four GCSE’s at grades A*-C / 9-4 including English, maths and science or a technical based subject such as engineering or product design. Alternatively, you can progress from a relevant Level 2 intermediate apprenticeship programme.
Vacancy Detail : We have a fantastic opportunity for an enthusiastic individual who is looking to develop a career in a small business, gaining valuable knowledge and experience circulating between departments within a manufacturing company.
Option to start apprenticeship at either Level 2 or Level 3.
Areas throughout the Apprenticeship include working in the following areas of the business:
1. Production assembly – Populating and hand soldering of PCBs, producing small mechanical assemblies, engraving, encapsulation, varnishing and packing of finished products.
2. Test & calibration – Testing and calibrating electronic assemblies and instruments.
3. Test equipment – Assisting with the development of production test equipment, including hand wiring, manufacturing small mechanical assemblies and repair of returned instruments.
4. Goods inwards & stores – Goods inwards inspection, batching of components for assembly and maintaining stores and stock records.
5. Purchasing – Assisting with purchasing.
6. Drawing and documentation – Assisting with production of new engineering drawings and modifying existing documentation.
7. Design – Assisting with new product development and testing.
8. Quality assurance – Assistance with internal audits, helping to resolve quality issues.
9. Sales – Sales office duties including, customer records email and telephone enquiries.
10. Stock control – Assistance with maintaining stock records and material control.
11. Accounts – Assistance with purchase and sales ledger entries
12. Information technology – Assistance with maintenance of company systems
Depending on starting level, the Apprenticeship would be either an 'Engineering Apprenticeship Level 2' or 'Engineering Advanced Apprenticeship Level 3'.
One day a week, day release to Bedford College.
For the first few years the successful candidate will circulate between departments to experience variety and gain a wide range of knowledge and skills in each area of the business. Specialising towards the end of the Apprenticeship based on the candidates strengths and abilities.
Positions Available : 1
Working Week : Monday to Friday – 37.5 hours per week
Salary : £163.12 Per Week
Application Deadline Date : 04/08/2019
Possible Start Date : 02/09/2019
Personal Qualities : Enthusiasm.
A fundamental interest in science and engineering.
Practical interest in mechanics and electronics with a view to aspiring to a role within an electronics environment.
Willing to learn and commitment to completing the apprenticeship
Skills Required : Manual dexterity, excellent eye-sight and ability to handle small components.
Future Prospects : A full-time role within a manufacturing electronics environment, moulded appropriately by the obtained apprenticeship and strengths of the candidate. This may also lead on to further education or internal training if required.
Training to be Provided : You will gain the following qualifications:
For an Engineering Apprenticeship Level 2:
Performing Engineering Operations NVQ Level 2 Diploma (QCF) – with bias to match your chosen pathway
* Industrial Environment Awareness Level 2 Award in (QCF)
* English and maths Functional Skills
* Employee Rights & Responsibilities
* Personal Learning & Thinking Skills.
Further study and career options:
Further study: You can progress to study an Engineering Level 3 Advanced Apprenticeship.
For an Engineering Advanced Apprenticeship Level 3:
The qualifications you will study to achieve will depend on your chosen pathway, and include:
NVQs (work-based learning):
* Electrical and Electronic Engineering NVQ Level 3 Extended Diploma (incorporating level 2 Performing Engineering Operations that is studied in the first year at College)
Technical Certificates (classroom-based learning):
* EAL level 3 Subsidiary Diploma in Engineering Technology
* BTEC level 3 90-credit Diploma in Engineering
* BTEC level 3 Diploma in Engineering
* English, maths and ICT Functional Skills
* Employee Rights and Responsibilities
* Personal Learning and Thinking Skills.
Further study and career options:
Further study: Upon successful completion of this apprenticeship you may wish to continue your studies by undertaking a higher qualification. Although not part of the apprenticeship many employers will sponsor their apprentices to complete a Higher National Certificate (HNC – equivalent to the first year at university) and / or a Higher National Diploma (HND – equivalent to the first two years at university) both offered at Bedford College.
Other Information : All applicants will need to attend an initial interview with a member of the Bedford College Apprenticeship Recruitment Team. You will also be expected to complete an initial assessment of Maths and English.
The map below shows the employer's location