Job Title : Painter & Decorator Apprentice
Employer : Seagrave Decorations Limited
Location : Kettering, Northamptonshire, NN9 5NQ
Position Type : Apprenticeship
Sector : Decorating / Painting
Vacancy Reference : VAC-12139
Brief Description : YOU WILL BE WORKING IN THE MILTON KEYNES AREA - Multiple opportunities to become an apprentice painter & decorator, with an employer who work almost exclusively on new build sites for National Home Builders across Northamptonshire and Bedfordshire.
Qualifications Required : To be considered for this role you will need GCSE’s in maths and English at Grade 2 / E or above (equivalent qualifications will be considered)
Vacancy Detail : The following is list of the duties involved for an Apprentice Painter & Decorator. It should be understood that this is not an exhaustive list and there may be a requirement for the employee to undertake other reasonable tasks/duties from time to time.
1. To learn all of the tasks involved for an Industrial Painter and Decorator, working mainly on new build housing estates.
2. To attend college once per week with the aim of passing the Level 2 Diploma in Painting & Decorating.
3. To learn to apply paint, stain, varnish and other finishes to buildings and other structures, in line with the customer’s specification, using brushes, spray guns or rollers.
4. To learn how to apply primers or sealers to prepare new surfaces, such as bare wood or MDF, for finish coats.
5. To learn how to fill cracks, holes and joints with caulk, putty, plaster or other fillers, using caulking guns or putty knives.
6. To learn how to hang wallpaper according to the customer’s specification.
7. To learn how to cover surfaces with dropcloths or masking tape, to protect surfaces during painting, when working in occupied plots.
8. To learn how to properly clean and maintain tools and equipment.
9. To learn good ‘housekeeping’ so that new build plots are left in a clean and tidy condition when exiting the plot.
10. To learn how to remove fixtures such as locks, hinges and door knobs before painting.
11. Work safely at all times and avoid leaving equipment on floors which may constitute a slip & trip hazard. Ensure you do not jeopardise the safety of yourself and others.
12. Attend training sessions and tool box talks when required.
13. Ensure your CSCS card is up to date at all times. (Your first card will be paid for by the Company).
14. Foster a good working relationship and good communications with customers, College staff and Seagrave Decorations staff.
Positions Available : 2
Working Week : 40 hours per week Monday to Friday
Salary : £166.00 Per Week
Application Deadline Date : 30/10/2020
Possible Start Date : 11/01/2021
Personal Qualities : • Self-motivated
• Dynamic personality
• Able to be part of a team but also work on own initiative
• Good time management and prioritisation
• Attention to detail
Skills Required : • Good practical skills
• Organised approach to work
• Ability to follow technical drawings and plans
• Good math skills for measuring and working out quantities and angles
• Reasonable level of fitness AND MUST BE ABLE TO DRIVE
Future Prospects : Possibility of full time position upon successful completion of apprenticeship.
Training to be Provided : You will gain the following qualifications:
- Level 2 Painter and Decorator Apprenticeship
- Functional Skills in English and maths (if required)
You will also study a range of topics, including: Erect and dismantle access equipment and working platforms , Prepare surfaces for decoration , Apply paint systems by brush and roller, Apply standard papers to ceilings and walls, Produce specialist decorative finishes
Other Information : The National Minimum Wage for Apprentices is £4.15 per hour. This is the legal minimum pay per hour applying to 16-18 year old apprentices and those aged 19 and over in the first year of their apprenticeship. For apprentices 19 or over who have completed their first year and are continuing their apprenticeship, the National Minimum wage appropriate to their age applies.
Candidates must carry out an initial interview with a member of the Bedford College Apprenticeship Recruitment Team and complete an online maths and English test which will be sent out prior to your initial interview if you meet the entry criteria. Please note this is part of the recruitment process and must be completed in order for your application to be progressed to the next stage.”
Things to consider : Only Candidates who have fully completed the Application will be considered. Please be aware that the closing date is subject to change without prior notice.
The map below shows the employer's location