Job Title : School Administrator/Data Assistant Apprentice
Employer : Lincroft Academy
Location : Oakley, Bedfordshire, MK43 7RE
Position Type : Apprenticeship
Sector : Business Services
Vacancy Reference : VAC-11681
Brief Description : A new opportunity has arisen for a proactive and enthusiastic administrator to assist in the efficient running of our busy administrative school office.
Qualifications Required : • You will need a minimum of four GCSEs A*-C/9-4 including English and maths
• Knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Publisher & PowerPoint
• MS Office (Word and Excel) or equivalent at Level 1 or 2
Vacancy Detail : A new opportunity has arisen for a proactive and enthusiastic administrator to assist in the efficient running of our busy administrative school office. Providing an administration service which supports the EVC Coordinator in organising residential trips, supporting the School Admissions process with the annual intake of students and leavers and assisting the Data Manager with reports, to include statistical data and the production of student reports.
You will also be responsible for effective communication between the school, parents and professional bodies.
To succeed in this post, you will demonstrate that you are highly organised, keen to learn, have exceptional interpersonal skills, a sense of humour, an eye for detail and the ability to remain calm in what can be a high pressured environment.
We encourage enthusiastic and motivated candidates who share a genuine passion for this role to apply.
Lincroft Academy is committed to the continuous professional development of all staff, working in collaboration and sharing best practice.
• To assist in the effective and efficient running of the School Office and School Reception.
• To act as a first point of contact for the school for parents, students and visitors.
• To ensure maximum efficiency and job completion within the Administration Team, in particular supporting the EVC co-ordinator with organisation of residential trips and supporting the School Secretary with admissions (student intake and student leavers).
• To assist the Data Manager with producing data, reports and compiling statistical data.
• Contribute to the safeguarding and promotion of the welfare and personal care of children and young people.
• Ensure you are working within GDPR at all times.
Duties – Administrative
1. To support the administration function within the school, by the use of word processing and/or copy typing to include standard letters, individual letters, mail-merge documents and worksheets, etc.
2. To be fully competent in the use of Microsoft Office packages (primarily Word, Excel, with some understanding of Publisher and PowerPoint). To also use school based packages (SIMs, Go4Schools, Cash Office, Schoolcomms, etc. – full training will be given).
3. To undertake administrative duties such as filing, photocopying, laminating as required.
4. To undertake general reception duties, acting as first point of contact for the School, acting in a professional manner, to answer the telephone in a timely manner and respond and deal with enquiries from students, parents, staff and other external professional bodies.
5. To ensure visitors, deliveries, telephone calls and the incoming and outgoing post are dealt with efficiently.
6. Support the management of formal, and informal communications from the School as directed by the School Secretary.
7. Maintain high levels of confidentiality at all times.
Trip Administration - Supporting the EVC Co-Ordinator (2 days per week)
1. Liaising with the EVC Co-ordinator, organise residential visits which will include liaising with the trip leader and travel companies, bookings, costings, travel, letters, banking, collation of student information records, chasing returns when necessary and organisation of an information evening for each trip.
2. To undertake the administration process of running day trips for students, this will also include bookings, costings, letters, collation of reply slips, banking of monies and preparation of paperwork for trip leaders as directed by the subject or trip leader, School Secretary and EVC Co-Ordinator.
3. For each school trip prepare student and staff packs, first aid boxes and other materials as required. For overseas visits ensure all students have passports/EHIC cards.
4. Support the Finance Office with routine financial administration by collecting, banking and monitoring the income and expenditure of every trip, ensuring student instalment dates are in line with the providers schedule for payments.
Admissions – To Support the School Secretary & Transfer & Transition Administrator
1. Assist the School Secretary with the co-ordination of the School Admissions process. This will include using Sims and other related software packages together with the School Secretary.
2. Supporting the School Secretary and Transfer & Transition Administrator, you will liaise with primary and secondary schools and the Local Authority School Admission Team on admission and transfer issues, update bus route groups, liaise with new parents providing all new starter information and ensuring a full return of new starter documentation. You will update the database as required, liaise with School Transport, Heads of Year, Safeguarding Officer, Principal and Form Tutor as appropriate.
3. Ensure the correct process is followed for students leaving the school.
4. Assist the School Secretary with Prospective Parents Open Evening and New Intake Evening, preparing letters, prospectus, booking system and open days.
Data Assistant - Supporting The Data Manger (2 days per week)
1. To assist staff in the production of student reports by preparing mark sheets on the system, checking entries have been made by agreed deadlines and then printing and distributing all reports.
2. To compile lists and maintain statistical data in respect of a class or group of students, undertaking analysis of statistics required by teachers.
3. To assist in the maintenance of pupil records particularly student achievement, student progress information and pupil’s records.
4. To support in the development and maintenance of the school’s management information systems and pupil information system, currently SIMS
Duties – Supporting Staff
1. Provide staff with student information as required.
2. Liaise with the School Secretary and Senior Leadership Team to ensure all documentation for public distribution is prepared to set deadlines.
3. Support the School Secretary and senior staff as directed in the Administrative duties (above).
Duties – Supporting Students
1. Manage student sickness and welfare procedures including assistance to outside agencies carrying out medical conditions. Attend to students who are feeling unwell, provide for individual student welfare needs, monitor student sickness requirements and arrange with parents to collect sick children following the school’s process.
2. To provide First Aid to all students and staff and be responsible for the administration of medicine as required under the instruction of the School Secretary (First Aid at Work Training course will be made available for you to attend if required).
3. Provide students with relevant information as required.
4. Deal with and /or report, to the nearest member of staff incidents that are seen or reported regarding students’ welfare.
5. Set a good example in terms of personal presentation, hygiene, attendance and punctuality.
Health and Safety
1. Obtain a nationally recognised First Aid at Work certificate and attend suitable refresher courses in order to keep qualifications up to date.
2. Be aware of the responsibility for personal Health, Safety and Welfare and that of others who may be affected by your actions or inactions.
3. Co-operate with the Academy Federation on all issues to do with Health, Safety and Welfare.
Continuing Professional Development
1. In conjunction with the line manager, take responsibility for personal professional development, keeping up to date with research and development related to school efficiency which may lead to improvements in the day-to-day running of the School.
2. Undertake appropriate training to support the delivery of ‘specified work’ in order to develop skills for the post.
Additional Duties For This Post
1. To undertake any other duties, commensurate with the level of the post, as may be required from time to time.
2. This job description will be reviewed annually and may be subject to amendment or modification at any time after consultation with the post holder. It is not a comprehensive statement of procedures and tasks, but sets out the main expectations of the School in relation to the post holder’s professional responsibilities and duties.
Positions Available : 1
Working Week : 37 hrs p/w term time only + 5 CPD days
Salary : £175.05 Per Week
Application Deadline Date : 04/02/2019
Possible Start Date : 25/02/2019
Personal Qualities : • A well-presented and articulate application addressing the job description and specification.
• Commitment to and genuine interest in the post.
• Self-motivated and self-reliant with a readiness to seek and accept support
Skills Required : • Good standard of IT skills
• Excellent organisational skills and ability to prioritise workload
• Ability to work as a member of a team
• Ability to work on own initiative within set boundaries
• Excellent communication skills with children, work colleagues, parents and other professional adults.
• Highly organised and able to work to deadlines.
• Ability to cope with conflicting demands, deadlines and interruptions.
• Knowledge of school management software (Sims.net)
• Knowledge of school computer packages (School Comms, Go4Schools)
Future Prospects : To be discussed at interview.
Training to be Provided : You will gain the following qualifications:
Business Administrator Level 3 Apprenticeship
•Functional Skills in English and Maths
•Functional Skills in ICT
During this apprenticeship you will study a range of topics, including:
•Record and document production
•Planning and organisation
•Processes and external environment factors.
Other Information : Elements of this job description and changes to it may be negotiated at the request of either the Academy Principal or the incumbent of the post.
This is a Term Time only position based at Lincroft Academy and could be asked to work in any of the schools within the Sharnbrook Academy Federation.
Candidates must attend an initial interview with a member of the Bedford College Apprenticeship Recruitment Team and complete an online maths and English test which will be sent out prior to your initial interview if you meet the entry criteria. Please note this is part of the recruitment process and must be completed in order for your application to be progressed to the next stage.
Things to consider : We work in a busy environment which at times can be high pressured and there is a need to have a calm manner whilst dealing with a number of queries at any one time.
The map below shows the employer's location